Never let it be said that I don’t have feelings. In fact, I like feelings and have on occasion experienced some of the most popular ones. Here are my Top Ten ESC 2019 songs that engage the valves of my emotion organ. <3
Top Ten Songs for Feelings
- Telemoveis – Conan Osiris (Portugal): Now if you want a 3 minute abstract musical about the alienation and loneliness of modern app-mediated life then here you go.
- Soldi – Mahmood (Italy): Because families are complicated and so are Mahmood’s feelings.
- Sebi – Zala & Gasper (Slovenia): Love is a feeling, right?
- Ktheju Tokes – Jonida Maliqi (Albania): This is HUGE and because it got selected so incredibly long ago I feel like everyone is overlooking it. Why wouldn’t beautifully sung portentous trip hop make you feel something?
- Zero Gravity – Kate Miller-Heidke (Australia): Because depression is a bastard, and this song sounds like when you realise you might be feeling better and you can do things again.
- Kruna – Nevena Bozovic (Serbia): I really respected the costume choices at Beovizija and I can get behind a classy ballad.
- Bigger Than Us – Michael Rice (UK): I really feel for poor doomed Mikey Rice. Protect him.
- Limits – Paenda (Austria): This is barely there as a record, all it is is emotion and a garnish of synths)
- Hatrið Mun Sigra – Hatari (Iceland): If love is a feeling, then hate is a feeling too. Although tbh this song makes me feel a lot more of the former than the latter.
- Arcade – Duncan Laurence (The Netherlands): The finest of this year’s emoting boys
(bubbling under: Joci Papai, John Ludvik, On a Sunday, Roi)