Last year, Eurovision was full of memes. We had yeah yeah fire, Moldovan bedroom farce, Eugent clapping, and the whole thing was won by a heady memetic froth of maneki neko and chicken noises.
This year, who will generate the most meme power?
Top Ten Songs with Meme Potential
- Hatrið mun sigra – Hatari (Iceland): They’ve been memeing their way around since as long as they’ve been a band, and their Eurovision campaign has been dense with giffable moments and carefully constructed reaction pic moments. Look at them go. Woah.
- Spirit In The Sky – Keiino (Norway): Tom. Hugo’s. Wig. We can only pray sincerely that they bring the wigs to the big stage because that would set the whole confection of ridiculousness. And that Fred gets some antlers too.
- Say Na Na Na – Serhat (San Marino): Is Serhat himself 100% meme at this point?
- Friend of a Friend – Lake Malawi (Czech Republic): From ‘she was my neeeeeybaaah’ to ‘only a friend’ to the infinite cascade of ‘friend of a friend of a friend of a friend’ to the instagram themed official vid, they know their meme.
- Telemoveis – Conan Osiris (Portugal): You glue the spoons to your face.
- Bigger than Us – Michael Rice (UK): Not only is wee Ricey participating in his own rice-based memefication, but the call and response of bigger (BIGGER) is quite memey. I also have to report having seen the ‘It’s Coming Home’ meme being used.
- Zero Gravity – Kate Miller-Heidke (Australia): ok so she might be ditching the spikey high frock and the dementor, but I am sure they’ll produce something eye-popping and mind-bending.
- Look Away – Darude (Finland): He’s already a meme. He’s extremely online.
- Soldi – Mahmood (Italy): Come va? clap clap
- Palie Sie – Tulia (Poland): Their common press shot expression of stoic rage is memeworthy alone.
NOTABLE ABSENCES: Replay, She Got Me and Chameleon. Fuego was only Fuego because of the staging and the memetic value of the fabulous Eleni.